Thursday, January 1, 2009

Jesus Is My Helper, My Example, My Inspiration--but not My SAVIOR!

"If, like the elder brother (speaking of the Parable of the Two Lost Sons), you believe that God ought to bless you and help you because you have worked so hard to obey him and be a good person, then Jesus may be your helper, your example, even your inspiration, but he is not your Savior. You are serving as your own Savior." Tim Keller, "The Prodigal God."

This is easily one of the best 5 books I have ever read. Buy this and read it immediately.

I don't know that any book I've ever read has so clearly articulated, and re-articulated the Gospel. This book will forever change your understanding of the Gospel, of the Savior, it will redefine sin for you, it will redefine Christianity for you, it will redefine how you think of other people and yourself, it will redefine ministry.

"The Prodigal God" by Tim Keller
(you read the name right! He even renames the famous parable in the Bible...AND he calls God "prodigal"). Whoa.

PS-For anyone looking for some (not all though!) of the questions the emergent church is asking but different answers, conclusions and direction than the emergent church--this book, and this guy is for you.

No comments: